08 kolovoza, 2009

Playing an Instrument - Benefits and Self-Satisfaction

The purpose of this article is to explain some of the benefits of playing a musical instrument. I've played guitar about five years now and while I've never become as proficient as the rock stars you see on tv, I do enjoy it immensely, for more reasons than you might think.
Learning an instrument for me was a series of self-rewarding steps. One of the most rewarding of these is the feeling when you can play your first song. Once you've learned to string together notes or chords, no matter how simple, you realize that there are a whole lot of possibilities out there and that you can really only move forward. When I started playing guitar I was thrilled to to learn the main riff to "Sweet Home Alabama." This gave me a mental boost to keep going and pursue my musical interests.
The next key stage is starting to pick out songs you hear on the radio and take the initiative to learn them. No matter what instrument you play, there are sites where other musicians write out popular songs so that you can learn them yourself. When you hear something you like simply look it up. If a song looks too difficult don't give up, just keep working at it one small piece at a time until you've got it down. The satisfaction from this is really a great feeling because you aren't playing songs you are assigned and may not be your top choices, you're learning what you want to learn instead. Now you can really start to develop in that you can play songs people know and will appreciate. It's a great feeling when someone recognizes something you're playing and let's you know that it sounds good!
Another great benefit of playing an instrument is the meditative quality. Playing for an audience is fulfilling, but sometimes just stepping back from it all and playing music by yourself can be very relaxing and beneficial. For me I find that playing my guitar can offer great stress relief and help to ease away the tension of a rough day. I often try playing something calm to mimic the mindset I want to achieve.
Whatever you play, just know that there's a lot more to it then "being really good" at your instrument. Playing music can provide a whole plethora of mental benefits including improvements in your self confidence or even your mood. I hope you found this helpful, have fun with those instruments everyone!

Nema komentara: